Tell the Senate: Protect Our Care
On May 4, the House of Representatives took the first step toward repealing the Affordable Care Act (ACA) when it passed the American Health Care Act. On June 22, the Senate released their own bill to repeal the ACA, called the Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017. Here’s the bottom line: both proposals would severely limit access to health care for millions of women, putting our health, well-being, and economic security in jeopardy.
- Those with preexisting conditions would no longer be assured affordable coverage. In addition, states could change their requirements for covering Essential Health Benefits, taking us back to a time when women would again be charged more than men for the coverage they need.
- Women and families in need would no longer receive financial assistance to purchase coverage, resulting in new barriers to obtaining health care and likely more uninsured individuals.
- Our nation’s most vulnerable would face the devastating impact of repealing the Medicaid expansion and changes to its funding structure.
- Seniors’ premiums would soar. The Congressional Budget Office estimated that average premiums for 64-year-olds would rise 20 to 25 percent, putting health insurance out of reach for many.
- Planned Parenthood, an organization that provides access to preventive care for millions of women and men, would be defunded. Everyone deserves access to health care like cancer screenings, birth control, and STD testing at their chosen provider. Coupled with additional restrictions on abortion care, women would lose access to critical care under this piece of legislation.
We need all hands on deck to stop this dangerous effort from advancing. Enter your address below to send a message to your Senators that urges them to oppose any proposal that guts, repeals, or lessens health care access and coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
Then, follow up your email with a call. To reach your senators, dial (202) 224-3121 now and ask the switchboard operator to connect you. The message is simple: My name is NAME and I am calling from CITY, STATE. As your constituent, I urge you to reject the Better Care Reconciliation Act and any other effort that reduces access or does not provide the same level and quality of health care coverage for women and families.